Tess carries on a litigation practice that involves media and defamation, constitutional law, commercial litigation and administrative law. She also carries on a solicitor’s practice involving commercial transactions. Prior to commencing her articles with the firm, Tess clerked at the Court of Queen’s Bench in Edmonton.
Tess has experience defending media organizations of all sizes, ranging from small news outlets to major national broadcasters. She has also been involved in commercial litigation matters concerning large public companies.
Tess has appeared at all levels of Court in Alberta. At the Court of Appeal of Alberta, she has advocated for the right of the media to receive notice of applications to restrict publication and access, and to determine the meaning of publication as it relates to the internet.
In addition, Tess has appeared before the Supreme Court of Canada twice, both respecting media law issues. In one instance, Tess was a member of RMRF’s team relating to an injunction brought against a major national broadcaster respecting articles posted to its website containing information subject to a publication ban. In another instance, Tess acted for the Canadian Media Lawyers Association (CMLA) in relation to the right of the public to access transcripts of Court of Appeal proceedings.
Tess teaches Communications Law at MacEwan University, and frequently presents to clients and the legal community on issues related to media law and privacy law. Tess is also a trained pilot and retains her private pilot’s license.
• R v. Canadian Broadcasting Corp, 2018 SCC 5
Education & Admissions
2008 Dip, British Columbia Institute of Technology
2011 B.Sc., Embry Riddle Aeronautical University (Summa Cum Laude)
2015 J.D., University of Alberta
2016 Admitted to the Alberta Bar
Awards & Achievements
• Merv Leitch QC Leadership Award
• Alumni & Friends of the Faculty of Law Scholarship
• Borden Ladner Gervais LLP Excellence in Law
• Canadian Owner’s & Pilots Association ab initio Scholarship
• First prize factum, Wilson Moot (University of Alberta Team)
Associations & Memberships
Edmonton Bar Association
Canadian Bar Association
Canadian Media Lawyers Association (Ad IDEM)
• Communications Law - MacEwan University
• Board Member, Harbour4Life Youth Society
• Committee Member, Habitat for Humanity Legal Build
• Board Member, Northern Alberta Pioneers & Descendants Association
• Member, Women’s Legal Forum Committee – Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers’